Posted by: 4pack | December 30, 2009

“Ideal Shape”: Medical Studies Find That Regular Physical Activity Protects Against Stress-Induced High Blood Pressure

 FOUR PACKS WILL CONTINUE TO GRATUITOUSLY POST SCIENTIFIC STUDIES THAT MAKES THE SITE LOOK SMART AND SOPHISTICATED…PHYSICAL EXERCISE IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AND CONTINUES TO BE 20% OF “IDEAL SHAPE”, WITH A HEALTHY DIET UNDER 2,000 CALORIES REMAINING 80% OF THE EQUATION….

Study Question: Telomere erosion is a central component of aging, and telomere-associated proteins regulate cellular senescence and survival. What are the effects of exercising on vascular telomere biology and endothelial apoptosis in mice, and what are the effects of long-term endurance training on telomere biology in humans?
Methods: C57/Bl6 mice were randomized to voluntary running or no running wheel conditions for 3 weeks. Exercise telomerase activity was evaluated in the thoracic aorta and in circulating mononuclear cells and compared with sedentary controls. Telomere biology in circulating leukocytes of young and middle-aged track and field athletes was analyzed and compared to untrained individuals.
Results: Exercise upregulated telomerase activity in the thoracic aorta and in circulating mononuclear cells compared with sedentary controls including increased vascular expression of telomere repeat-binding factor, and reduced expression of vascular apoptosis regulators. Mice preconditioned by running exhibited a marked reduction in lipopolysaccharide-induced aortic endothelial apoptosis. Transgenic mouse studies showed endothelial stress resistance after physical activity. Peripheral blood leukocytes isolated from endurance athletes showed increased telomerase activity, expression of telomere-stabilizing proteins, and downregulation of cell-cycle inhibitors compared with untrained individuals. Long-term endurance training was associated with reduced leukocyte telomere erosion compared with untrained controls.
Conclusions: Physical activity regulates telomere-stabilizing proteins in mice and in humans and thereby protects from stress-induced vascular apoptosis.

Perspective: Regular exercise training and better fitness are associated with many positive effects including blood pressure control, insulin sensitivity, less abdominal fat, better lipid profile, reduction in systemic inflammatory markers, and improved stress response and reduction in depression and anxiety. This study provides evidence for one of many potential molecular explanations for decreasing cardiovascular and overall mortality in fit men and women.  Melvyn Rubenfire, M.D., F.A.C.C.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: